Monday, May 5, 2014

Turning 40, the End or Just the Beginning?


Yes, it is about to happen. I only have a few more days left to officially be in my 30's. Yikes! Does it count that I still feel 23 inside? 

I could freak out. I could have a mid-life crisis, driving my husband to the brink of insanity. I could cry and throw a fit.

Or I could look at my life as it sits and ponder about where I have come from, where I am going, and the journey that will take me there.

I feel like I have accomplished a lot during my first 40 years here on earth. Are there things I haven't done? Sure. If there were not, then I guess I'd be dead. I remember when I turned 30 and was unsettled about no longer being 20-something, my mother said, "Well it's better than the alternative!". And she was right. I have done a LOT of living and gone through plenty of life changes in the past 10 years.

I met my now-husband when I was 33. That meeting is a definite positive! He has really changed my life, my perspective on things. I am in such a better place now that when we first met. My kids are now 14 and 17, and becoming adults quickly (too quickly for my taste), and I am very pleased with the way they have turned out. I am working in a local high school as the librarian and I absolutely LOVE my job. I guess you can say I'm in a pretty grand place right now.

One thing I am really liking about being this age is that I really could care less what people think. I can do my own thing without worry what this one or that is going to say. I can go to the store without make-up or fixing my hair. I can wear comfortable shoes like I don't have a care in the world! Yes, I do like to look fashionable and trendy (no "mom" jeans for me!!!), but I can go for slouchy on Saturday mornings without caring if someone sees me.

Yes, I'm getting some wrinkles and yes, I've got a few gray hairs. Would I want to go back to my 20's? No way! I can buy eye cream and hair color.

I will move into my 40th decade gracefully and with a smile on my face (along with a few "laugh lines"). Hello, 40, here I come!


No comments:

Post a Comment